Meeting rooms are available in the Ocean City, Ocean Pines, Pocomoke, and Snow Hill branches of the Worcester County Library. In accordance with the mission statement and goals of the Worcester County Library, we welcome non-profit organizations engaged in educational, cultural, intellectual or charitable activities to use the meeting rooms. Civic and community events such as elections, blood drives, health fairs, and similar events are also invited to use the meeting rooms.
Prior to the initial use of the meeting room, the organization must complete an application to verify eligibility and to identify contact information. The application is available on the library website http://www.worcesterlibrary.org and at the branch libraries. Please return the application to the library branch where the meeting will take place or to the Administrative Headquarters in Snow Hill. The application must be renewed whenever the contact person for the group changes or every two years. The Branch Manager or Library Director will approve the application if it is determined that the organization is qualified according to this policy.
- Library events have first priority for the use of the rooms, to accommodate meetings of the Library Board of Trustees, Friends of the Library groups, or for library programs. With proper notice, the library may cancel or re-schedule a meeting room reservation.
- Any meeting or event in a library meeting room is open to anyone who may choose to attend.
- Reservations for meeting rooms will be made on a first-come, first-served basis and can be made only 15 months in advance.
- Any group that reserves a meeting room agrees to inform the library as soon as possible if it becomes necessary to cancel or re-schedule an event. A pattern of cancellations or several cancellations with little or no notice may lead to the imposition of fees, the loss of meeting privileges, or both.
- Use of the meeting room before or after normal operating hours of the library may be permitted at the discretion of the Branch Manager, Library Director, or his/her designee. Such before- or after-hours use may require payment of fees to assure proper building security.
- The Worcester County Library, its Board of Trustees and employees assume no responsibility for the actions, opinions, or expressed points of view of the organizations that sponsor or host meetings or the individuals who attend meetings and events on library premises.
- A group or organization may reserve a particular branch library's meeting room with no charge up to six times in a 12-month period. Meetings beyond the sixth may be permitted on a space-available basis, scheduled no more than 2 months in advance and will require payment of a $10.00 fee. This rule is to ensure that all community organizations have the opportunity to use the library's meeting room space. Click here to read the policy (in PDF) which includes the addendum regarding meetings of homeowners associations.
General Rules and Regulations
- All public notices, flyers, news releases and announcements about meetings must make clear who is the sponsoring body is and must not create an impression that the program or meeting is a library sponsored event.
- Any group that uses a library meeting room agrees to be responsible for setting up the room as it wishes and returning the room to its original condition.
- Any group that uses a library meeting room agrees to be responsible for any damage to the room, furnishings, furniture or equipment during the time of the group's use.
- No alcoholic beverages of any kind can be served in a library meeting room.
- Individuals may use cameras, tape recorders or other devices to create sound and/or visual records of all or portions of a meeting if such recording is acceptable to the person conducting the meeting. If such activity is not acceptable to the person conducting the meeting and if it is not protected by relevant local, state, or federal law, then such recording will not be permitted. Library staff and trustees may exercise discretion about the placement of cameras and recording equipment to ensure safety and comfort of those attending the meeting.
Approved by the Worcester County Library Board of Trustees, June 20, 2008