Photograph By Sarah Murray
The Worcester Room in the Snow Hill Branch has an extensive collection of Genealogy resources. The Worcester Room’s focus, naturally, is the Genealogy and Local History of Worcester County, Maryland. However, our collection also contains many resources from our neighbor counties: Somerset, Wicomico, Accomack (VA), and Sussex (DE), as well as other holdings from throughout Maryland, Delaware and Virginia. The Worcester Room is open during our regular branch hours.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Wednesday: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The Worcester Room collection contains books, maps, microfilm, family histories, tree charts and file folders, and other research sources.
- To find out more about our Worcester Room holdings, click here.
- To access the index of Family File Folders and Tree Charts, click here .
(We include a note of caution here: These folders and tree charts were submitted by a variety of local researchers over many years. Therefore, if you choose to make photocopies, that information should be validated and verified by your own research documentation.)
- To access the list of Newspapers on Microfilm Collection, click here. (Library card number required.)
- To access the list of our Miscellaneous Microfilm Collection, which includes Mortality Records, Census Records, Wills and other Court Records, click here. (in PDF)
For research requests or questions about our genealogy and local history resources, please send written correspondence to:
Worcester County Library, Snow Hill Branch
307 North Washington Street
Snow Hill, Maryland 21863
Attn: Worcester Room
Please have patience. Our small Staff of Volunteers will answer your Genealogy queries (no History questions please) in the date-order it was received, as soon as possible, as we often have an extensive wait-list. Be advised that the Worcester Room is a separate entity to the Snow Hill Branch Library and we cannot accept any telephone queries.
You are always welcome to visit us in-house; if you will be needing assistance with your research, please make an appointment before your expected visit and we will attempt to have one of our volunteers here to meet with you.
Research Assistance Services and Fees
Any research assistance to a written Genealogy query that is accomplished in less than one hour is free of charge.
After that, we require a pre-paid research fee at $10.00 per hour for up to two additional hours. A volunteer will contact you via email concerning your request. Other fees include: $.25 per photocopied page plus shipping and handling. These fees must be received by us before your requests can be mailed out to you.
If you should need further assistance, you will need to submit a new email query which will be added to the end of the existing wait list.
Each branch library has a digital copy of the William D. Pitts Collection. This collection comprises 19,780 items of land survey records relating to Worcester County and lands just beyond the County’s borders. Materials date from 1677 to 1982. Please check with library staff for access to the computer in each library that houses this digital collection.
ESRL Resources(Library card number required to log in.)
- Gale Genealogy Connect
- Newsbank Local Newspapers of Delmarva
- EBSCO Master File
- Biography Reference Center
- AncestryPlus-ProQuest Library Edition (from library terminals only)
- HeritageQuest Online(TM)
More Genealogy & History Resources
- Emily Powelll Warrington Annotated Diary
- Digital Maryland
- Early Worcester County Records (Wills, obituaries, and more)
- Salisbury Daily Times
- U.S. History
- Maryland War of 1812
- Museums of Worcester County
- A Brief History of Worcester County (PDF)
- African American Heritage In Worcester County (PDF)
- The Maryland State Archives
- The US GenWeb Project
- Newspapers on Microfilm